Suggest treatment for cuts in urethra

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Men's Health
Question: Hello,

I am writing in regards to several cuts on the tip of my urethra. This injury was due to sex with a dryer condom. Nothing really hurt to much until I pulled the condom off and went to the bathroom. I had a lot of pain. After looking closely i noticed several cuts on the tip. I have been to two urologist who have told me the same thing put neosporin on it and give it time to heal. It has now been 3 weeks. I have refrained 100% from sexual activity and trying not to get an erection but the cuts do not seem to be closing up as quick as I'd like given that I have to go to the bathroom and the urethra moves all the time. I have been wrapping the penis in a gauze pad to reduce friction. I need some serious help. I do not want to do any procedure to fix this but dont know what else to do. The cuts themselves one is below the tip and two are at the sides of the urethra tip. THey seem to be getting narrower ( may be healing) , however, they do not fully close. My urologist recommended that I stop putting cream on and see how that healing goes. The cuts themselves have never blead but I do get some stinging assuming that the cuts open up. I am just concerned that the cuts will not close.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal healing period is 4-6 times.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist,let me assure you, the cuts in urethra are in a healing phase.
You've had only minor cuts at multiple sites on the tip.
Normal time for such cuts to heal completely, is about 6 weeks.
Pain and bleeding in initial period, are signs of healing.
As you're not bleeding, you'll have pain, which will be most, when urine comes in contact with that area. Nothing else to worry about.
Erections at night time, occur naturally while sleeping , about 4-6 times.
At such times,the cuts get a little widened, and then pain may be felt, on waking in morning. Avoiding sex is the best thing you're doing, so it heals faster.
Just be cool, and wait it out. Avoid looking at the cuts daily. No gauze needed.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 33 minutes later
Should I be applying any ointment on the cuts? I am just worried because my pee hole is a little bit bigger with the cut on the bottom and sides? Time of injury it has been 3 weeks. I am taking vitamin C as I read that it speeds up healing from within. My urologist told me like you just to wait it out. THe only reason I have a gauze pad is to prevent rubbing of the tip onto my thigh when I have pants on. I have stopped neosporin for 1 day now. Hopefully a difference is noticed. It is uncomfortable when sitting and driving if the urethra moves around. I just am trying to ignore it. Should I be cleaning the area as well or soap and water from shower are okay? I have noticed that the tip is a little more sensitive but I am just trying to ignore it. Will the skin eventually tighten and fuse back together? Also if and when this heals how can i prevent it from ever happening again?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing must occur. Use moisturised condom.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Healing is a natural process. It has to occur. Approximate time is 6 weeks.
Prevention is, to avoid dry condoms again.
The tip of penis is most sensitive part of the organ, hence pain also will be more.
Neosporin does help in initial one to two weeks.
Then may be used only once at bedtime, if you feel like it.
Avoid leaving moisture over the area.
You'll be alright soon.
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 23 hours later
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I did wake up this morning to see that the cut got bigger at the bottom. Im just worried that the opening is getting worse. I have not applied neosporin. Chaffing is happening I can not prevent that unless its wrapped. I am trying not to think about it
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nocturnal erections will stretch the cuts.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
As i'd written earlier, the night time natural erections, cause it to stretch, and may lead it to increase a bit. But,you don't need to worry.
Apply the ointment at bed time then, for one more week.
The natural period can't be accelerated, is what you must understand.
Just avoid moisture there in daytime, especially after passing urine or washing there.
Just relax and give it time to heal normally.