question-icon

Suggest treatment for cutaneous nerve injury in hand

Posted on Fri, 10 Apr 2015
Question: Hi, I recently had a minor operation.When the Anesthetic Nurse,who was middle aged,put the canula into my hand she hit a nerve.A shock wave ran down my index finger.She continued on left it in. Now more than two weeks later I have pain on specific movements of my hand and wrist, and the inside of my thumb and part of my index finger and back of hand are numb.Will this heal itself or what is the prognosis?
Thanks,XXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
prognosis is vey good

Detailed Answer:
Such injuries are not uncommon and in most cases small branches of cutaneous nerves are injured and it heals spontaneously within 6-8 weeks. Sometimes some tingling sensation may persist for longer until subcutaneous oedema pulls back. If there won't be improvement then decompression of ulnar and carpal tunnel may be required. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 hours later)
Thanks,Dr.Romic, for your reply.Hope that it heals spontaneously. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you have any questions i ll be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon