Suggest treatment for cut toe in a diabetic patient

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: How do you treat a baby toe cut open from the back of the toe to the front. how to bandage it. Is perovap good to spray on the cut. I soak the baby toe in Epsom salt then bandage is that good for the toe.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes you can

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Being a diabetic, it is absolutely better to use perovap spray containing hydrogen peroxide on the cut toe. Soaking in Epsom salt is fine too.
Try bandaging as you are doing now
If the wound still persists after a few days with no improvement, fusidic acid ointment can be applied before bandage.
Keeping blood sugar under control which is very important in wound healing.
Wishing you speedy recovery
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Arun 11 hours later
How often should I soak the toe and change the bandage. How long does it take a baby toe with a cut take to heal.
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
Soak and change atleast once or twice every day
It usually takes a week to 10 days to heal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj