Suggest treatment for cut on the finger

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I cut my small finger at the middle joint crease and now have numbness on the inner aspect of finger above cut. There is a very sharp pain when I try to stretch or bend finger.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
the numbness should resolve on its own

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are superficial nerves (nerves that lie close under the skin) and deep nerves in most areas of the body.

Trauma can cause damage to the superficial nerves with can cause abnormal sensation such as numbness. In some cases, there may be no nerve injury but the numbness can simply be due to the damage to the skin and underlying tissues.

It should resolve as the cut heals.

Since it is a recent injury , you should avoid any movements that aggravate pain.

It can be cleaned with an anti septic, this can be done twice daily. A topical antibiotic can also be applied to reduce the chance of infection, this would depend on how you were cut.
For example if it was with a clean object, the topical antibiotics may not be needed but if it was with a dirty object then they should be used

If it was with a dirty object and there is no recent tetanus, you may need a shot (if you did not have one for over 5 years).

Anti inflammatory pain killers can be used to help with pain eg naproxen, cataflam, voltaren, ibuprofen

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions