Suggest treatment for crusty mucus in the nostrils

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I continually have issues with a large (sometimes the size of a quarter) of somewhat dried, crusty nasty mucus that hangs up in the back of my nasal passages
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

You might benefit from irrigation with saline.

You can use a nettipot and purchase or make saline solution. When you first start the irrigation, inhale slightly and you will get the solution farther back near your throat.

You can also purchase prepared saline spray such as Simply Saline, and this will help moisten the secretions.

You wrote that you are using nasal sprays. If this doesn't include a steroid spray, you might consider adding that.

Finally, guaifenesin that is sustained release, such as Mucinex, can help thin the secretions. For this to work, you need to drink a lot of water, at least 8 oz per 100 mg of the guaifenesin.

If the air is dry in your home, consider a humidifier.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.