question-icon

Suggest treatment for cramps in the shin area?

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Question: Any suggestion? I woke up with moderate cramps in my shins that keep returning.over past 3 hours
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Dehydration or poor blood supply

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern.

While the cause of cramps in most cases remains unknown and without an apparent reason, sometimes it can be due to dehydration or simply muscle overuse. However, when these cramps persist and happen on a regular basis it may be a sign of poor circulation, which is a serious condition.

My advice is hydration (under supervision since already on diuretics) and gentle muscle massage. If it does not help and you feel there is more to it, I recommend you see your PCP. A Color Doppler ultrasound may be necessary to evaluate blood circulation in your legs.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi