Suggest treatment for cramps and numbness in leg

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have cramps running down my left leg starting in the groin area, my leg is partially numb and tingly and it hurts to walk. I have been going to a chiropractor who thought it was caused from my back, but after 2 weeks it still hurts constantly. I have been taking aleve and Excedrin and using a heating pad to try to sleep.
Could this be a blockage in my main leg artery?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing
After going through your symptoms, they are suggestive of sciatica. In this the pain goes from back of thigh, leg and up to foot with numbness and tingling sensation. The cause may be confirmed by physical examination, but most commonly it is due to slip disc that is prolapsed of intervertebral disc leading to nerve compression (pinched nerve).
In the follow up query I would like to know are you able to walk on your heels and toes? That will give me some idea of severity of nerve compression.
It does not look to be because of artery blockage, what type of medicine do you take regularly?
My suggestions for you are-
1. Bed rest that is avoid unnecessary sitting and whenever possible take rest in lying down position.
2. You may add muscle relaxant drugs like thiocochicoside and pregablin to the pain killer medicine you are already taking.
3. Physiotherapy also helps.
These are prescription only medicine so you may talk to your local doctor.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cramps and numbness in leg 15 minutes later
I don't take any medications. Only a vitamin every day.
I can walk on my toes but my left calf hurts because I have cramped up in that muscle several times.
Walking on my heels hurts on the left side. I can do it but I hobble.
My chiropractor told me to get an inversion table which I did and have used.
In your opinion will this help or hurt?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you.
After going through your reply it does looks to be a pinched nerve on left side. So you may have the medicine as discussed earlier after having a word with your local doctor.
You may do hot water fomentation to calf and thigh muscles as it has a soothing action on muscles cramps. To prevent night cramp(If you have) is stretch your calf muscle before going to bed 3-4 times and each time holding for 10-15 seconds. Quinine water tonic is also useful to prevent night cramps and may be taken before going to bed.
It's better to avoid use of Inversion table at present and may use it later.