Suggest treatment for cracks in the nipple

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I delivered a baby girl on 23rd february, its a normal delivery..i am facing problem while feeding my baby..when the baby starts sucking the breasts..i feel terrible pain in my nipples. I could find little cracks in my nipples.my doctor has advised me an ointment named nipcare which i am using since yesterday but the pain is still there can u plz advise any cure. You can reach me directly at my contact no. 0000.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: this is expected post delivery Detailed Answer: Hello, Congratulations on the arrival of the baby. Cracks in the nipple are a common problem post delivery in women. Your doctor has prescribed you the right medicine. I prescribe my patients Nipcare as well. You must continue to use the ointment for at least one week to see the desired effects. I would suggest you to use it continuously 4 to 5 times in a day. You should also do hot fomentation of the nipple to get symptomatic relief. Continue to breastfeed your baby. You will be cured soon. Regards,
Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor, I have a follow up query related to this, Though before feeding, i clean the nipcare ointment from breasts, but still if a bit of ointment remained on breasts and is licked by the baby, then is it harmful for the baby.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 days later
Brief Answer: not harmful Detailed Answer: Hello, Make sure you clean the area thoroughly before breast-feeding the baby. However, even if the baby licks some of it, there is no harm to it. Nipcare contains only Lanolin. It is still fine if the baby licks a little amount. Regards,
Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Thanks a lot doctor.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: my pleasure Detailed Answer: Take care!