Suggest treatment for cough

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Question: my 2.5 year old daugter is having cold and cough...majorly cough is what has been pain area from 2 days....as she is not well...she is not eating any thing...but would like to eat maggie :-(...doctor has given her...levolin and ronycold kid syrup...as parents what extra can we do to cure her cough...please help..
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Medication being given shall take time to act Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. I am unable to make out when you write "has been pain area". Where exactly is the pain? Cold and cough takes time to get controlled and your child is being managed properly. If she has pain in the ear(s) then she would need a review and antibiotics may have to be added. Give your daughter plenty of liquids to drink. There is no restriction in the diet and you can give her what she wants. I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts. Wishing your daughter an early recovery. Regards, Rajiv K Khandelwal http://goo.gl/SuCjl
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 37 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Thanks a lot for the response. 'Pain area' simply meant that she has been coughing a lot for the past 2 days which is of the main concern. Especially, when she wakes up, she coughs uncontrollably. It seems that she's trying to swallow the phlegm which makes her cough and vomit. Is there anything else we should do other than continuing with the prescribed medication and above advise provided by yourself. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue with the same management Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX It is normal for children to cough, swallow the sputum and even vomit. The coughing can, at times, continue in bouts. You need to give a fair trial of the medication for a day or two and in case there is no improvement then the doctor would introduce an antibiotic. You can give steam inhalation to your daughter but you have to exercise extreme caution that the child does not scald herself. I hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please feel free to revert back if you any further query. Regards, Rajiv K Khandelwal