Suggest treatment for cough

Posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: hello ive had a cough since ive been at the philippines i though i was getting better. comeing home on the plane there were a few people around me with very heavy coughs i seem to have it now. ive been takeing cough med called benadryl forte . tonight im sitting here getting very worried with extreme cough not much comeing up but very extreme coughing. ive had to try to sleep sitting up but wake up back in the coughing fit can you help please
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes for cough

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are two formulations of the benadryl forte. One is for dry coughs and contains a cough suppressant, the other is for wet coughs and contains medications to help to break up any mucus in the chest and nasal passages.

Coughing can be related to irritation of the nasal passages, presence of mucus irritating the throat, closure of the airways (as in asthmatics) or inflammation/ infection of the airways.

If you are using the benadryl forte with the cough suppressant then you can continue this and add another type of cough medication or treatment.
This may involve addressing the other causes of cough:
(1) the use of decongestants (topical like normal saline) or oral would help reduce any secretions that may be going into the back of the throat to cause coughing

(2)steam inhalation with menthol may help to relieve your coughing as well

(3)medications to open the airways- oral salbutamol.
Repeated coughing may be related to closure of the airways which can occur even if a person is not asthmatic. It occurs in bronchitis.
These medications help to re open then but they would require a prescription

(4) if it is bronchitis that is causing your persistent cough then your doctor may also consider prescribing a short course of oral steroids

If you using the medication with the mucolytics (break up mucus ) then you would need to add a cough suppressant to this.

Summary: (1)different causes for persistent coughing

(2)adding a decongestant (available over the counter), steam inhalation may help

(3)if this is not enough to help with the cough may need oral steroids and meds to open airway. These require a prescription

(4)if you are using the type of benadryl forte with no cough suppressant then just adding a cough suppressant may be enough

I hope this helps ,feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James