Suggest treatment for cough with sputum and breathlessness due to mold

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been exposed to mold in a home for over a year in which time I already have a bad immune system anyway. In November of 2016 I got a bad upper respiratory infection which hospital just gave me steroids and that did nothing. I have just now received a Z pack and been through it and feel much better except I still have bad mucus in my lungs coughing it up massively and stuffy noise and with extreme tiredness to the point of walking from one room to another puts me out of breath and exhausted. I also went through menopauses I guess this last year because I don't have a period any more. I didn't get any symptoms from that I don't think. So do you have any clues?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably alergic asthma due to mold exposure

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome in HCM.
I can understand your problem.
According to the history you explain in my opinion it is an alergic situation accompanied with the symptoms you explain, cough with sputum and breathlessness. This usually cause lung disease and to exclude this you can do several tests as follows :
Prick test
Specific IgE
Pneumoalergens
Hemogram
CRP
Chest X Ray
Spirometry
These will probably prove or exclude lung problems. And if they come positive than your doctor will prescribe you some medications like inhalers twice per day (Seretide),mucolitics for the sputum and please take in consideration his advises.
I wish you a good health
Dr.Jolanda Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 25 hours later
The clinic I just went to which I don't think has high competency did an chest x ray and say I did not show any signs of pneumonia, She thinks I have some type of heart hypertension thing. But this doesn't explain my coughing and flem chocking but could be a part of the extreme tiredness. So no what do you think? I did have some adeama but I got rid of that.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep monitoring the symptoms in the following days

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

I hope you are doing better.
It would be better for you to have done all the examinations i suggested.
The findings in chest x ray means that as a result of arterial hypertension the lungs might be a little over loaded with liquids and sometimes the patient may have cough with some sputum,but in your condition as you explain your symptoms i do not thing that your concerns are directed related with this finding .
It will be clarified after 2 or 3 days.Viral situations passes fast meanwhile lung overloaded due to cardiac cause are accompanied with the deterioration of the situation.
Keep monitoring the symptoms in the following days.

Best wishes
DR.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana