Suggest treatment for cough with green sputum

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in General Health
Question: I am very weak, low energy, when I cough it comes from way down in chest and sputum is green. I am on meds for low thyroid , low vitamin D also. I threw up several days ago and was clear and burned and taste like bile. After that I got deep cough with green sputum.
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lower respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

I understand your concerns.Green colored sputum coming down from the respiratory tract on coughing indicates lower respiratory tract infection.As you had episodes of vomiting few days back,some aspiration might have occurred,that can cause this infection.Any infection in our body can cause symptoms of weakness and low energy.
We can treat this condition well with antibiotics and anti secretory agents for a few days.For my patients,I usually gives antibiotics like azithromycin or amoxicillin+clavulonate (if not allergic to) for 3 days,along with anti histamines like levocetirezine.I will reassess the condition after 3 days.If responding,we can stop the treatment after completing the antibiotic course.Otherwise,depending on the condition,we may need to change the antibiotic or give intravenous antibiotics.
Your doctor will guide you in this.Kindly avoid delay in starting the treatment.

Also,as you are on thyroxine,it is better to check the thyroid status also by a TSH assay,as low thyroxine level also can contribute to weakness and low energy.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a faster and complete recovery.
With regards,Dr Aslam.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D