• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough, throat irritation, body pain and fatigue

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have cough(irritating throat) from 2 days. Not sure whether it is because of viral or bacterial infection or just a acidic trigger.

It started with small amount of Phlegm coming out from throat when I got up yesterday morning. I feel like the Phlegm present only in my throat and lungs seems to be clear. Whenever I cough I see small amount Phlegm coming out and it was more yesterday and today morning.

I dont have cold, running nose, irritation in eyes and fever. I have little body pain and feeling lazy. I am almost sleeping entire day today.

I am taking below medicines as per one of the doctor's advise.
1. Zedex cough syrup
2. Betadine gargle 3 to 4 times a days
3. Took one Allerga tablet yesterday night.
4. Took 2 Dolo, yesterday and today.

My pain problem is that there is a trigger for the cough in the throat and the body pain could be because of the excess coughing.

Please advise whether this is a sore throat(Viral), Step throat(Bacterial) and a acidic trigger and the medication to overcome this.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be upper respiratory tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that your symptoms might be due to Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, probably a bacterial infection.

Following investigations can be helpful:-
1. Throat swab culture and sensitivity test.
2. Complete Blood Count (CBC).
You should continue with the medications as advised by your doctor.

Reports of the above-mentioned investigations along with a clinical evaluation will help in planning further medical management like adding antibiotic if needed.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Regards. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist