• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough, sore throat, ear aches

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I have coughing, sore throat, ear ache for about a week, taking a decongestant (Mucus D) a little better but not much, still sore throat, coughing (not as much) and ear ache, Have cough so much my ribs are sore.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some things to help...

Detailed Answer:

first of all an important aspect of your condition is your temperature. If you have fever then you'd better visit your doctor as soon as possible because some infections may required treatment to get better.

If you don't have fever but you still have symptoms from the upper respiratory tract then you can use the following in order to find some relief:
- the decongestant to relieve the pressure in you ears
- an antihistamine which may reduce nasal discharge (you haven't mentioned that but I guess you must have some, because you're taking the decongestant)
- cough suppressant. The best option is a codeine-based syrup in low dose but you may have trouble trying to get one without prescription. So other anti-cough syrups (over the counter) may help but not as much as codeine would.

If you have a noisy breath (wheezing) then clinical examination by your doctor is advised. Asthma, COPD or acute bronchitis may cause wheezing during the course of infections. These disorders require a different approach which involves taking inhaled drugs.

Finally you can try taking paracetamol (acetaminophen) as it may relieve some of the systemic symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection (and the sore throat).

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis