question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough, nasal congestion and sneezing

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 30 years male and facing problem with cough, sneezing, nose blocking from long time,i consulted doctor in clinic and they said its due to allergy, i taken medicine also for 3-4 months, but still i am not cure and having problem till now.

Could you please advise on this.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
The ideal treatment is discussed below. Add details of your treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

1. The ideal treatment for allergic rhinitis includes avoiding the allergens, anti-histamines (such as cetirizine/fexofenadine), anti-leukotrienes (such as montelukast), steroid nasal sprays and regular steam inhalation.

2. Saline (alkaline) nasal washes (isotonic and hypertonic) such as Saltnase/ Netiwash will be very helpful.

3. Your doctor should also differentiate between allergic and non-allergic rhinitis.

4. Since you have not responded well to medication, a plain Sinus CT Scan and a nasal endoscopy should be done.

5. It is also possible to test for allergy and attempt desensitization for long term relief.

6. Upload the exact medications taken, Sinus CT images and nasal endoscopy images for further discussion on treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist