Suggest treatment for cough during sleep at night

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: sometimes have minor coughs during the day,just one to two coughing. at night during sleep same thing.
what is causing this? I am 54 age. not drinker or smoker.
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Esopheageal regurge

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX,

I hope i will be able to help you and answer your questions.

your symptoms suggest GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) due to increased acidity in the stomach acid goes up your esophagus and results in those bouts of cough, changing your diet will help get rid of it, avoid coffee, tea, specially before going to bed, avoid chilli food, fatty food, oily food, try once you sleep to have your head in a more raised position than usual this will help avoid the night coughs.

If cough persists we will need to try some anti proton inhibitors which are medications to control stomach acidity. But that is next step.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Dr. Nazzal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
thanks Dr XXXXXXX that helps. I do sleep raised position.
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Great, try the diet modification

Detailed Answer:
Great that you sleep raised position.

Glad you found that answer helpful, try the diet modification, plus avoid late meals.

Best regards,
Dr. Ahmad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal