• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough, cold and sore throat

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a question for a doctor. last week I lost my voice for about 2 or 3 days. shortly after I lost my voice I got symptoms consistent with a head cold ears congested stuffy nose cough and sore throat. although my sore throat is now gone the other symptoms have been holding persistent and I have generally felt under the weather for a little more than a week now. Should I go see a doctor? I typically don't for sicknesses like this because they are usually viral however this one seems to be a little stronger than my normal viruses. So was wondering if a doctor's trip would be advised and what kind of treatment would you advise
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cold symptoms can last up to 14 days.Doctor's visit not needed at this point

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

Cold / Flu symptoms can typically last up to 10-14 days.
Since your sore throat has already subsided, there is no concern for a bacterial infection like Strep throat.

You can use saline nasal drops, over the counter decongestant/antihistamine like Allegra-D, steam inhalation twice daily to help relieve the ear and nasal congestion and stuffiness.

Also, drink plenty of fluids and stay well hydrated.

You do not need to go to the doctor now. However, if your symptoms do not seem to be subsiding in next 4-5 days or you develop a high fever, breathing difficulty, please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal