Suggest treatment for cough and sinus drainage into throat while Mucinex

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have sinus draining into throat causing coughing with little phlegm coming up . I am taking mucinex 600 mg guaifenesin with little result . What else can i do ?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recommend more accurate treatment; e.g. antibiotic coverage

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. As I usually tell my patients, for example if a splinter or thorn has penetrated the skin of your little finger. Would you rather use pain management medication to treat the pain or would you rather remove the splinter/thorn?

Similarly, treating a possible infection with medication that only treat or suppress its symptoms, will not really provide you with much relief. Instead, in such cases, treating the source of the problem, which could quite possibly be an infection would be best.

If your phlegm is yellow, green, or any other colour other than transparent, it could quite possibly be an infection, which will only subside with the help of antibiotics. In such cases, antibiotics like azithromycin or a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate taken twice daily for a duration of 5-7 days helps treat the infection and provide relief. I would recommend you visit your doctor for a prescription sir.

You can also go about drinking sips of lukewarm water over the day, and gargle your mouth with any disinfectant like Betadine mouth wash.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write to me about any further clarifications, I am always here to help sir.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad