Suggest treatment for cough and sinus congestion

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: when i cough my whole back hurts feels more in middle of my back and lungs an my chest and sinus is congestive and mucus a light red and my head hurts and my left hand pain inside and i can not make a fist and when i try to make a fist my fingers in joint pops.

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue taking symptomatic treatment for a common cold, if getting worse, an EKG and a chest X Ray to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic,

I can understand you concern.

As per your description, these symptoms might be a viral infection with cough runny nose with bloody sputum sometimes with muscles and bones pain.

But given the fact that you are hypertensive, the first to exclude is the lungs congestion due to high arterial hypertension values last days.

So the first thing i would recommend you is to do:

- a Chest X ray
- a 12 lead EKG

If they come negative, we are sure for the viral situation and for this you can use symptomatic treatment i.e. Paracetamol for pain relief, plenty of warm liquids (luke warm water, soups, broths, hot menta tea etc.) and if you are breathlessness you can use inhalers like Ventolin (Salbutamol) three times per day.

So take care, keep monitoring your situation further. Take your anti hypertensive medications carefully.

Feel free to ask me again.
Wish you a fast recovery.

DR. Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee