• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and runny nose

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My doctor is not now available till the morning -- about 9 hrs. from now. I reported to him about 3 days ago with a cough and very runny nose. The cough is a real pest in that it is loose and bothers me through the night and yields a yellow slime from the upper lungs. The med. which was ascribed for me is MucinexDM , doxycycline hyclate 100 mg and virtussin AC which has some codine ( I suppose) in it for the cough. My problem is that my face is very red and seems puffy and the back of my hands are redish and my back is itchy. Can I wait till morning (9AM) or should I go to the hospital or should I just stop taking the Med till 9AM and then go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation, salt water gargling, dermadew soap

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome
I have gone through your query.
Based on the information, I feel you can wait till morning and see doctor tomorrow.
Since when you are on this medication?
Is it possible to upload the pictures for better assessment?

Now presently apart from the drugs that you have taken, I would suggest you to do steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it preferably and salt water gargling. Drink plenty of water especially warm water. After examining the rash I would have decided on the need of oral antihistamine agents. You can wash the rash with cool water and use mild soap like dermadew or dove.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Harish Naik