• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and runny nose in a child

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor,
my son who's 2.5 years has suddenly developed running nose and cough with barking sound. His temperature is also kind of increasing. He is very cranky and not taking food. He vomits the food while coughing. Please suggest as I'm really worried. Awaiting ur reply.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough syrup with anti allergic and antibiotic will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Cough, cold and fever in this age is very common. Giving cough syrup(like Ambrodil s plus or Kufril ls) containing Levosalbutamol a bronchodilator(helps in relieving the airway spasm) and Ambroxol a mucolytic (sputum thinning agent) three times a day with syrup containing antiallergic(chlorpheniramine) and decongestant (phenylephrine) like Tminic or Maxtra syrup, three times a day helps in cough and running nose.
As the cough is Barking and there is fever also antibiotic like azithromycin(100 mg/5 ml) about 7 ml once a day for 3-5 days is needed.
Cough syrup and antiallergic syrup should be given for 5-7 days (5 ml three times a day for this age) depending on the improvement in clinical symptom.
All these medicines are prescription medicines so please get it prescribed in proper dosage by a pediatrician.

Watch for danger signs like persistent fever, rapid breathing, persistence of vomiting or poor feed even after giving medicines and if you notice any please get him to a pediatrician immediately fir proper clinical evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 minutes later
can we give him levolin 1 mg syrup and maxtra syrup and what's the dosage?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can give these syrups

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

As I have already mentioned earlier about maxtra syrup and levosalbutamol (levolin) syrup the dosage would be 5 ml three times a day for 5-7 days. You can give it to the baby. Please consult your pediatrician in case of worsening of cough or any other complication even after medication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology