Suggest treatment for cough and mucus build up causing respiratory problems

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had a respiratory problem approximately 6 weeks ago with a cough and mucous that subsided 2 weeks later.
Now I have a pain in my upper back just over the left lung. It went away once with naproxen but returned and is now unrelieved with pain medicine. should i go to the emergency room?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a chest xray done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

There are many causes of pain in the upper back including that pertaining to lungs and it`s covering membrane(Pleura).

Since you have had a bout of cough and mucus (Was it pneumonia?) it`s better to rule out any lung and pleural pathology.

I suggest you at least get a chest xray done and if required even a CAT scan to rule out anything pertaining to these.

If these tests are normal but the pain still persist you may have to consult a orthopedician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T