Suggest treatment for cough and cold

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 1 year old. She has got bad cough and cold and we took her to the doctor yesterday and doctor said it is barking cough. He has prescribed medicines for 3 days. I have attached the prescription of the doctor.

She is little better today but, she is coughing a lot.
1. She get coughing strokes for 5-10 minutes and most of the times she vomits. What to do in this case?
2. She is having blocked nose as well. We are using nasoclear at times. Any additional medicine to be given for the same?
3. She is not taking proper feed due to this cough and cold. Any suggestions in this regard would be helpful.

xxxx
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections which usually have an allergic component associated. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic.

1. The cough is due to the allergic component. Syr. Alerid is an antiallergic which should help. You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Reduction of the cough should take care of the vomiting.

2. None other than above.

3. You need to be patient. It should return to normal in a few days.

Let me know if I could help further.