question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and cold of 3 month old?

Posted on Sat, 22 Mar 2014
Question: My 3 month daughter has had a cold now for 7 days. I have tried everything! Humifers, baby vapor rub, elevating her head etc.... She continues to be very congestion in her chest. Has a cough, no fever. What else should I do?
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer: saline nose drops Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for your question. I'm sorry your baby is not well. The symptoms you describe are very common in this age group for this time of year. You are doing many of the things available to comfort a three month old. The only thing I would add is saline nose drops, followed 2 to 3 minutes later by gentle bulb suction of the nose. This can often extract mucus from the nose and make the baby more comfortable. However, if the symptoms persist for another 2 to 3 days, or the baby develops fever, or there is a noticeable change in appetite, I recommend consulting with your doctor. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician