Suggest treatment for cough and cold in a child

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 5 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: hi my daughter has cold and cough she is 2 and half years old can you suggest some remedies to ease her
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mostly allergic

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If your daughter has colds and cough without fever it means either allergy or mild viral infection

What she needs is only symptomatic treatment .

Give her some anti allergic syrup like cetrizine syrup and nasal decongestant drops like paediatric otrivin drops .

Give her good food ,enough fluids and keep her away from cold air blasts ,dusty and crowded places etc

If she does not improve take her to the local paediatrician to check her chest for infection

Good luck

god bless

Dr Uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 29 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for suggestion.
My daughter is getting fever(101) also along with cold and cough.She ha phlegm it seems.

I gave her cetirizine syrup and using crosin(paracetamol) syrup when she is getting fever.Can I wait for 2 days to see if she improves or need to take to paediatrician?

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes XXXX

You can wait for 2 days if she is generally alrght in between attacks of fever- .smiling, playing etc and feeding well.

Generally simple viral fevers settle down n 2 days.

Beyond that take her to the doctor to check her personally.

Any rash, vomiting or breathlessness is indication to go rightaway.

Good luck

Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina