Suggest treatment for cough and chest infection

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my son of age 11month has been suffering cough & chest congestion since last 10days, Dr. has adviced Budesal-0.5mg nebuliser OD, is it safe for my kid?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM.
Budesol is having budesonide.
It is longer acting, more potent newer inhaled corticosteroid (ICS).
It is the first line treatment in airway inflammation.
So your son might have airway inflammation and because of this he is having cough and congestion. So ICS is the drug of choice.
Advantage of ICS over oral drugs are
1. Site specific action. It acts directly on lung so systemic side effects are negligible.
2. Lower dose is needed as compare to oral. So drug toxicity can be reduced.
So budesol is not harmful. It is safe. So no need to worry.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your son. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist