Suggest treatment for cough and chest congestion in a toddler

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor,

My kid is 2 yrs old and weight 12.6kg. Currently he is suffering from wet cough and running nose. My Pediatric prescribed mucolite syrup (2.5 ml 3 times a day for 5 days). This is 3 day and it seems his cough and congestion still not reduced. Need suggestion
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Your doctors recommendation of mucolite leads me to believe that the diagnosis is a viral illness. Viral illnesses typically get worse over the first 3-4 days, then take several days to get better. If the symptoms last more than a week, it is worth being reexamined by your doctor.
In the meantime, saline nose drops can be helpful in reducing congestion. When congestion is decreased, we often see a decrease in coughing. If you have access to a vaporizer or humidifier, you can keep it running in the room. Finally, hydration is very important. Make sure plenty of fluids are being taken.