Suggest treatment for cough and chest congestion in a toddler

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My kid is 2 yrs old and weight 12.6kg. Currently he is suffering from wet cough and running nose. My Pediatric prescribed mucolite syrup (2.5 ml 3 times a day for 5 days). This is 3 day and it seems his cough and congestion still not reduced. Need suggestion
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Your doctors recommendation of mucolite leads me to believe that the diagnosis is a viral illness. Viral illnesses typically get worse over the first 3-4 days, then take several days to get better. If the symptoms last more than a week, it is worth being reexamined by your doctor.
In the meantime, saline nose drops can be helpful in reducing congestion. When congestion is decreased, we often see a decrease in coughing. If you have access to a vaporizer or humidifier, you can keep it running in the room. Finally, hydration is very important. Make sure plenty of fluids are being taken.