Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for cough and chest congestion in a toddler

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1264 Questions
Hi Doctor,

My kid is 2 yrs old and weight 12.6kg. Currently he is suffering from wet cough and running nose. My Pediatric prescribed mucolite syrup (2.5 ml 3 times a day for 5 days). This is 3 day and it seems his cough and congestion still not reduced. Need suggestion
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Your doctors recommendation of mucolite leads me to believe that the diagnosis is a viral illness. Viral illnesses typically get worse over the first 3-4 days, then take several days to get better. If the symptoms last more than a week, it is worth being reexamined by your doctor.
In the meantime, saline nose drops can be helpful in reducing congestion. When congestion is decreased, we often see a decrease in coughing. If you have access to a vaporizer or humidifier, you can keep it running in the room. Finally, hydration is very important. Make sure plenty of fluids are being taken.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor