Suggest treatment for continuous diarrhea and severe nausea

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Why would I have continuous diahhrea and severe nausua when I am not sick?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely Gastroenteritis or stomach flu.

Detailed Answer:

Hi'
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have noted all your detals.
Most likely you are suffering from gastroenteritis also known as stomach flu.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.However its not necessary that all symptoms are present in every patient.Mostly Bacterial,Protozoal and viral infection causes inflammation in your stomach and intestines causing symptoms like vomiting, severe abdominal cramps, and diarrhea.You should get a stool routine and microscopy test done to see the cause of infection.If possible ultra sound abdomen should be done.
Treatment to be discussed with your treating doctor-
Take imodium 2mg stat.
Zofran 4mg(ondensetron) can be taken for nausea along with Neksium 40mg(PPI) to provide symptomatic relief.
If stool test is positive for bacterial infection,Therapy with Antibiotic like Cefixime and anti protozoal like metronidazole can be given for 3 days.
Take a lot of soluble fiber in diet.
Take lots of yogurt in diet.It contains lactobacillus(Good bacteria of gut).
Have ispaghula husk 2 tsf twice daily.
An over counter probiotic should be taken thrice a day.
Drink a lot of orange juice and coconut water.Take juices rich in potassium to compensate for electrolyte loss in stools.
Keep yourself hydrated,Drink plenty of boiled water.
Eat light food,Avoid spicy and junk food.
Please mention the duration from which you are having symptoms.
In case you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad