• question-icon

Suggest treatment for continuous cough for close to two weeks, cold and fever

Posted on Fri, 7 Jun 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello Doc! My mother is 49 years old. For the past 10 to 12 days, she had continuous cough. She said she had sensations like something is itching and she had the urge to take out mucus from her throat. Her voice also changed. She also had mild fever. After taking medications for five days, her fever subsided. Cold also 80% subsided.

But now still she keeps couching mucus at random intervals. But No fever and Mild voice recovery. She has not lost weight also. I've attached the blood reports taken 3 days after she started medication. She was asked to take by the doc since she had fever which is now subsided. Should I be worried about her high ESR rates??? Does the report suggest anything abnormal?

Her haemoglobin was 9.8 and esr was 49. Normal esoniphill count. Normal tlc count and platelet count.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to get a chest X-ray done.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion, you should definitely get a chest X-ray to rule out lung infection. High ESR is suggestive of infection /inflammation.
Since fever is absent, there is no need to worry much about the high ESR.

She has iron deficiency, anemia. This can also cause high ESR. You should start iron tablet and iron rich diet for low hemoglobin.

Hope I have solved your query. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist