Suggest treatment for constipation

Question
My daughter is suffering from constipation from iron tablets. She has taken solace, miralax and senekot. I think she has an impaction as she is having small amounts of diarrhea. Would mineral oil be something she should take as a lubricant or something like magcitrate.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lactulose syrup

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. Constipation needs some life style modifications in addition to medications to resolve .. Increasing the fiber content of your diet by increasing your portions of fruits , vegetables and whole wheat products such as XXXXXXX oats , brown bread and pasta ..
Also it is very important to drink enough fluids daily in order to stimulate the intestinal peristalsis , at least eight cups of fluids daily and some of them should be orange juice.. walking half an hour daily should also help stimulate the intestinal perstalisis ..
As for medications , I would recommend that you try lactulose syrup three times daily for three days . If still you did not pass stool after three days , then I would recommend that you use a warm water or mineral oil enema to losses stools and break down any impacted parts . I hope you find this helpful . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion..