Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for constipation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1411 Questions
My daughter is suffering from constipation from iron tablets. She has taken solace, miralax and senekot. I think she has an impaction as she is having small amounts of diarrhea. Would mineral oil be something she should take as a lubricant or something like magcitrate.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lactulose syrup

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. Constipation needs some life style modifications in addition to medications to resolve .. Increasing the fiber content of your diet by increasing your portions of fruits , vegetables and whole wheat products such as XXXXXXX oats , brown bread and pasta ..
Also it is very important to drink enough fluids daily in order to stimulate the intestinal peristalsis , at least eight cups of fluids daily and some of them should be orange juice.. walking half an hour daily should also help stimulate the intestinal perstalisis ..
As for medications , I would recommend that you try lactulose syrup three times daily for three days . If still you did not pass stool after three days , then I would recommend that you use a warm water or mineral oil enema to losses stools and break down any impacted parts . I hope you find this helpful . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor