• question-icon

Suggest treatment for constipation

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: why do use the toilet regularly or should I say that I have the opposite of constipation and I also can't pass out solid waste for the last two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its called irritable bowel syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Most likely you are suffering Irritable bowel syndrome.
In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.

The interactions between three mechanisms make bowel's function susceptible to many exogenous and endogenous factors like gastrointestinal flora, feeding and psychosocial factors.

Some patients have symptoms of unformed stools some have bloating and some may have severe constipation. Some patients have occasional symptoms whereas others may have symptoms for a long period of time.So as seen above every patient is different.Intensity of symptoms in every patient is different as so is the response to medicines and life style change.A patient may respond good to one medication while other patient is totally unresponsive to the same.

Our goal-
Every drug is not effective in every patient so we have to try different therapies till we find the drug which suits best our patient.All the below mentioned drugs slows down motility of intestines hence will decrease both frequency of motions as well as will increase your power to control them.

Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist