Suggest treatment for constipation

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am taking prescribed hydrocodone and have a constipation problem. What can I take for this other than taking a laxative every other day or so?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluids and fiber mainly

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You can try to increase your fiber intake. Using laxatives so often isn't normally recommended because persistent use can actually cause constipation, they can stop the bowel from working well on its own.

Increasing fiber and fluid intake are recommended.

At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables,this means with each main meal and with snacks. Whole grain foods are also important.
If it is difficult getting enough fiber from foods then using fiber supplements would help eg benefiber, metamucil, cetrucil

In terms of the fluids, at least 8 glasses of fluid daily unless there is a medical reason you cannot use this much (eg heart failure or kidney failure)
Caffeine drinks (coke, coffee, some teas) and alcohol are not included in fluids because they are diuretics (they cause the body to loose fluids).

Summary: (1) normally advised not to use laxatives do often because can cause constipation eventually because bowel stop working well on their own

(2)increase fluid intake unless there is a medical reason otherwise

(3)increase fiber intake,include fiber supplements if needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions