Suggest treatment for constipation

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Dec 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: name is XXXXXXX 20 yrs old
I was severely constipated....
doctor told me to take some laxatives did for a few days and stopped now i havent had them in a long time and i still feel dehydrated and im drinking TONS of water but i still feel dried out idk whats wrong and this whole time before laxative my period was doting then after laxatives my period started up finally it was pretty heavy now i think its about to end but i just still feel dehydrated for some reason i dont know why .....i should of never taken those laxatives now im dying ......why am i dehydrated whats wrong?.....i went back to er they told me i was still constipated tho when i was taking laxatives i had watery stool...now i am not having watery stool only tiny stool that is hard did i break my absorption or what?????like i said iv been drinking ALOT and also peeing ALOT so idk whats wrong why i still feel dehydrated ... the doctors told me my blood was getting nutrients... did i break the thing that delivers nutrients? is laxatives still stuck inside my stool? i am very scared my nose and mouth feel so dried out :(
thank you
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral rehydration salts/fiber rich foods to be consumed

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and am sorry for the situation you are in.

It is normal to feel dehydrated due to loss of water and electrolytes while being on laxatives.

Apart water, you should be consuming oral re hydration salts, which contain the essential minerals to keep you hydrated.

I also recommend to consume fresh fruit juice and more fiber rich foods (e.g. fruits, vegetables, whole grains,etc.) to help keep a well-forming stool and ease bowel movements.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 19 hours later
its been 2 and a half weeks ago since i took the laxatives....why do i still feel dried out? I always week up in the middle of the night with the dry mouth i have to contently drink water to feel ok :'( my body acts as if its still on the medication when its not ? I never had laxatives before those times the doctor told me to take them .did i mess up my bodies cycle?
Also this is what my latest xray said

Findings:

Gastrointestinal tract: Moderate amount of fecal material is
visualized in the colon. Mildly dilated bowel most likely due to
bowel ileus.
Visualized organs and vessels: Unremarkable as visualized.
Bone/joints: No acute process within the osseous structures of the
spine or pelvis.
Other findings: No upper abdominal calcifications. Lung bases appear
normal.

Impression: Moderate amount of fecal material is visualized in the
colon. Mildly dilated bowel most likely due to bowel ileus.

they never explained to me what all this means. like i said i haven't had the laxatives for a couple weeks so i cant understand why i would still feel dehydrated.
i also feel like i have to urinate more frequently then usual i got every 20-40 mins
Brief Answer:
Further evaluations by a GI specialist needed.. diabetes to be ruled out..

Detailed Answer:

Hi back my dear,

Thank you for providing the X-ray report of your abdomen. I too find it strange that the findings were suggestive for ILEUS but they never explained them to you.

Ileus is a surgical emergency, however, I do not want to precipitate any fear in my final conclusions. I haven't examined you, so my opinion cannot be 100% perfect. I'd advise you to consult with a GI specialist again to get further explanations.

To my opinion, it might be that you have slower peristaltic activity in the intestines as a delayed reaction to laxative use.

With regards to frequent urination, I'd advise to run :
- fasting blood sugar test
- urine analysis and check for glucose level in urine
- HbA1C

to rule out diabetes. Frequent urination can be an early sign of the same and it would be smart to rule it out.

Dr.Klerida