Patient efforts & changed life style will help.
Thanks for the query.
Bowel complaints like nausea
, gas, constipation
are known signs of tobaco withdrawal.Tobaco contains Nicotin, which is a stimulant.After withdrawal of smoking
,body needs some time to adjust to be active without stimulant.
Please don't worry. The constipation ( as a withdrawal symptom) will be relieved as body gets adjusted to work without Nicotin- is usually resolves within few weeks time.
till then what is needed is to know the changes brought about by withdrawal, & make positive efforts to overcome them.
& they are,
* - Tobacco withdrawal usually leads to change in eating habits-To overcome desire to smoke, the person starts over eating. This in turn causes-
- lac of balanced food,
- over strain to bowels - resulting in constipation.
To overcome this , try to have -
- try to overcome eating spells
- Have Well balanced food along with sufficient fibers & sufficient water.
* Withdrawal of smoking leads to changes in physical/ psychological activities
- The person becomes more stressful,anxious, irritable & lazy due to lac of stimulant.Physical activity is reduced, which again helps constipation.
To overcome this-
- Make positive efforts & Stick to normal routine
- start doing physical exercises ( walking, yoga
exercises) 30 to 45 minutes /day
- Develop a regular bowel habit,
- Be positive, determined to stick with the withdrawal of smoking.( Psychological counsellings, relaxation techniques
* Please understand dietary changes /physical exercises are not going to have instant results so
- persistent efforts &
- Use of mild laxatives like Lactulose
suspension or Ispaghula in the beginning is indicated.
- Use of anal suppositories are good to avoid stressful bowel movements till the final control is achieved by changed life style/complete smoking withdrawal.
* Please consult a Gastroenterologist
to rule out persistant digestive problems you had in past.
** I am sure, the due time given for body to adjust with tobaco withdrawal & your own efforts to overcome constipation will help you in successful withdrawal of smoking ,leading to a healthier & happier life!
I hope the answer is informative & helpful to you. Any further query is welcome.