Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for constipation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 460 Questions
I have a 7 year old grandson who was completely potty trained before 3 who has suddenly begun passing small amounts of very sticky, foul smelling stool often in his pants. He says he can't feel it coming, it just does. He actually has constipation and passes a large, rather hard stool every 3 days or so. He always goes to the bathroom for these, which are quite large.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
constipation needs to be treated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
Constipation for a long time can lead to this kind of problems. In this condition because of the hard stools the child is not able to perceive the urge to pass stools properly and so it leads to passage of small amount of potty staining the pants.
In my opinion you should treat his constipation so that this problem will be solved.
I suggest you do following for the constipation.
1. Syrup lactulose 10 ml three times a day. You can get this medication with doctor prescription.
2. diet modification like high fibre diet including vegetables and fruits and whole grains.
3. atleast 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
If constipation is not treated with this then I would suggest to get his stool checked and also his blood thyroid.
I hope I have helped you.
If you have any further query please feel free to ask.
If you have no further queries then please close the answer and rate it.
Thank you
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Developmental and Behavioural paediatrician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor