Suggest treatment for constipation

Excellent

Question
I had a flight journey from XXXXXXX to USA, XXXXXXX I didnt unload my excreta and journey was for 24 hrs. And the kind of food that i had was chicken. Later day i couldnt go to motion freely, it was hard. Now it is 3rd day i couldnt, i am afraid to push that out! Could you please tell me an easy solution?

Thanks!
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bisacodyl would help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

When the urge to defecate is resisted,as would have been necessary on your journey, then it can sometimes be difficult late to resume bowel function.

There are a number of different laxatives and stool softeners available.

Bisacody, a stimulant laxative, has been found to be very effective in the short term relief of constipation.
It would also be known as dulcolax, bisacolax, correctol,bisacEvac and should be available at your local pharmacy.

Normally 5 to 10 mg is taken once a day.

You should also make sure that you are using at least 8 glasses of fluids daily.

The use of prunes as well as other fruits and vegetables would help.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 16 minutes later
Thank you doc for your answer!

Before asking about the medication procedure i would like to inform that the excreta is at the end of the pipeline and i am afraid to push that out.

So, i believe you have given medication for this case!
But i didnt understand how to use the medication, it is once a day or twice a day?

And could you please suggest some medication to avoid infection as it might rupture some skin over there as i tried to push to last day, blood didnt come though!

And i have one more question like, without prescription how can i take medicines from local pharmacy?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
available at local pharmacy

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is used once daily, the dose would be 5 to 10 mg normally, though it can be pushed up to 30mg once daily if absolutely necessary.
You should try at 10 mg first.

The laxative mentioned would also help to soften stool making it easier to expel.

There are topical antibiotics that you can apply if any tears occur, examples are neosporin, polymyxin.
These would also be available over the counter. In addition , if any tears occur, sitz baths would help. This means sitting in warm (not hot) water for 10 to 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day. The water may have in table salt or epsom salts

The laxative and the topical antibiotic should be available at any local pharmacy.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 10 minutes later
thank you doc!

This is silly, but i have to ask you as i am first to pharmacy outlet, will they give these medication without prescription of your consultation? How can i get one from you?

I will take the medication today and consult you again tomorrow, if this doesn't work!

I am bit afraid i don't know how this will work out :( .., i couldn't even share with others.
And sorry i would like to inlcude one more question to the above--

how to use antibiotics, i mean its a cream? how many times a day i have to use?

thanks!

Anyways, thanks again doc!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the topical antibiotics are twice daily

Detailed Answer:
HI

These medications are normally available over the counter without a prescription.

Unfortunately, we are only able to provide advice and not able to provide prescriptions to anyone.

In terms of the antibiotic mentioned , they are creams. They may not be needed but if one of them is needed, it would be applied twice daily after bathing so that the area is clean.
To ensure that it is clean, you can use a mild anti septic solution such as salvon or bethadine which would also be available at the local pharmacy without a prescription.

Hope this helps , feel free to ask any addition questions

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 2 minutes later
thanks a lot doc!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
okay

Detailed Answer:
HI

NO problem

You can contact with any other queries

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 5 hours later
i have a doubt, do i need to swallow this?
i bout this product---

https://www.dulcolax.com/Dulcolax-Suppository.html
could you please tell me how should i use this, i see some where like use it through rectal and somewhere like from mouth... could you please tell me in detail the way i should use this.... please find the link in the previous message which shows the tablet that i have bought.

thanks!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
rectal use only

Detailed Answer:
HI

I had mentioned the oral version of this medication (to be taken by mouth) but there are also suppositories available.

From what you have written and based on the link, you have purchased the suppository which is inserted into the anal opening to stimulate defecation.
The suppository can be used instead of the tablet suggested if you wish, it will also work well. It would normally cause a bowel movement within 15 to 30 minutes of insertion.
Only one is used per day.

could you please let me know how to use that?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is inserted into the anus

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is easy to use.

You would remove it from its packaging and insert into the anal opening. That is all that is done.

Within 30 minutes should be able to defecate

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 1 minute later
thank you!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sure

Detailed Answer:
No problem

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 4 hours later
it worked, i think all of it is defecated!

but there was some blood, do i need to worry about that?

i washed the anal with warm water using soap and sat in warm water for 5 min.
i didnt use any neosporin.

thanks!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
good

Detailed Answer:
HI

No need to worry about the blood, that would be due to hardness of the stool and the need to strain somewhat.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 3 hours later
what kind of food i need to take these days to get to normal stage?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluids and vegetables and fruits

Detailed Answer:
HI

Make sure to use enough fluids- at least 8 glasses a day preferably water

Use at least 5 portions of fruits and vegetables a day. This means fruits and vegetables with each main meal and as part of your daily snacks.
Prunes are particularly good at helping with bowel function.

Physical activity would also be important

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 38 minutes later
okay thank you doc, but i feel some pain while going, today morning i couldnt go due to pain!

i will follow the diet suggested by you!

i will contact you if this repeats in these two days!

thanks.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No problem, use the a lot fruits (adding prunes or prune juice ) and vegetables, drink enough and you should have no problem with your bowel function.

The pain would have been due to the previous problem and the strain of the stool on your rectum and anus. It will resolve in a few days.