Suggest treatment for constipation

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My 17 year old Chinese daughter only has a bowel movement once every 6 to 7 days, I am concerned that this is not only abnormal but may lead to complications later in life. We have a tried a course of tablets to loosen the bowels and whilst that helped a little, as soon as she stopped them it reverted to the norm of 6 to 7 days.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I jus read through your question. I'm sorry she is suffering with this problem.
In many cases, constipation treatments and remedies have to be continued for years, sometimes even life. They are not harmful, so taking them for prolonged periods of time is not a concern.
In the US, there is a product called Miralax, generic name is polyglycol. It is very safe and con be used for years without worry.
I recommend that whatever constipation remedy you used that worked, you continue to use it. This will ensure that the problem won't return.