Suggest treatment for constipation

General Surgeon
Question
Hi so its the month of ramadan and ive been fasting from 4am till 730pm. I take a protein shake at 4am then eat mostly protien at 730pm, Drink black tea afterwards. Sometimes i eat after that a bit aroung 11pm sometimes i just skip. I have also been taking probiotics and omega fatty acid softgels.
The problem is i have constipation im not sure why. I have been exercising regularly as well and drinking a lot of water.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due decreased intake of water

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXX

Constipation is commonly seen in individual who undertake fasting in holy month of Ramadan. It is due to following factors
1. Decreased consumption of water
2. Decreased consumption of fiber in diet
3. Associated painful condition of anus like anal fissure: It is associated with pain and bleeding while passing stools

I would suggest you the following
1. Ensure adequate intake of fluids: 2 to 3 liter of water everyday
2. High fiber diet: Consuming vegetable salad will be helpful
3. Laxative like Lactulose will be helpful

Do keep me updated about progress

Wishing you great health

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh