Suggest treatment for constipation in an infant

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr
My 40 days old baby is suffering from constipation. He passes very tight stool with lot of discomfort. Daily he struggles to push it out. He is fed with breast milk only but sometimes he keeps on crying for milk and asks for continuous feeding which i could not.. Only breast milk is not sufficient because he doesnt even give a gap of half an hour after 30-40 ml of feeding.. Such time I give lactogen.. Is this affecting.. What remedy can be taken Dr?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal

Detailed Answer:
Its normal to have such problem in some babies.
You can try giving Egnol drops which is an auyrvedic preparation along with colimex-Df drops after consulting a doctor.
Mixed feeding can also aggravate the problem.
If you have lactation problem then see a doctor.
Child sleeps while feeding that may lead to inadequate milk supply, try to keep him awake by tingling at feet or behind ears.
Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 22 minutes later
Thank you Dr..
Can this egnol drops be given regularly...
I dont think I have lactation problem.. But when he asks for continuous feeding I feel milk is secreted less.. How can we know whether the milk is enough to baby or not..
He doesnt have proper sleep at all.. He keeps on stressing with sounds and pressurizes himself to poop..
because of less sleep I think he is not full stomach and i give lactogen.. Is this right or not..
Kindly suggest..
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
here is the solution.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.
Yes you can give egnol drops regularly.
Wait for 48 hrs., if baby does not passes the motion you can give egnol drops.

If the baby passes urine at least 6 to 8 times in 24 hrs then we can say that feeding is adequate.
Also weight gain is the indicator of adequate feeding.

If he seems to be hungry and demand more feed you can give lactogen.

Less sleep may be due to colic pain.I would suggest colimex-Df for pain.You can take this medication with doctor prescription.
Hold baby upright after feeding for 20 mins to expel the gases.
Hope i helped you.