Suggest treatment for constipation in a child

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Hello there.
My daughter is 3 years 8 months old. She doesn't pass the motion regularly. Mostly in 3-4 days or sometimes even more. Doctor has given her Lexopeg FC 5 bottles in 8 months. Kindly suggest if the prescription enclosed will be helpful for her to improve the situation. Thanks
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lexopeg is a safe and effective medicine for constipation in this age

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Lexopeg contains polyethylene glycol and is a safe and effective medicine for constipation in this age.
Constipation is common in this toilet training age.
I have seen the prescription and the prescribed medications include antibiotics, multivitamin and lactulose.
Polyethylene glycol is safer and more effective medicine for constipation as compare to lactulose. Antibiotics are not needed in constipation usually unless infection is suspected.
Sometimes injury to the anal region by hard stool or any local anal pathology may cause constipation.
I would suggest you to get him clinically examined by a pediatrician to rule out any local anal pathology and to get an ultrasound abdomen done after consulting your doctor to rule out uncommon causes of constipation.
Also bowel pattern depends upon the diet. So high fibre solid diet helps in better bowel movement.
You may give lexopeg as it is safe.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.