• question-icon

Suggest treatment for constipation in a child

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby is not pooping from past 6 days. Is it normal, if not what steps should be taken next?

For note on other hand he is peeing a lot at least (1 time/hr) and also Farting a lot
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The age is mentioned as 1 - is this year or month

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concern. The age is mentioned as 1. I would like to know whether is 1 year or 1 month.

I can suggest you further based on this information or if I need I will ask you for more information.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
It is 1 month (45 days accurately) as the Age field given on the form was not allowing me to write 1 month . Hence I just mentioned 1 month
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on not passing motion in a 45 day old

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. I want to reassure you that this is very common at this age group. Babies of this age can poop 10 times per day or once in 10 days also. It all depends upon the bowel movment and the amount of milk they take. At the same time if you are already giving formula feeding, this is even more common.

You can wait for at least 7 to 10 days before getting back to me again about this issue and if baby has not passed motion even after 10 days then I will suggest you what to do.

Meanwhile even if the baby has not passed motion, if the baby is feeding well and active otherwise without vomiting you need not worry at all.

As the baby is passing flatus you can be doubly reassured.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 hours later
After giving a 7 drop of Milk of Magnesia to my baby he pooped which made us relaxed but after that he has pooped for 3 more times.

Poop was greenish and Pale yellow in color. Is it a symptom of Diarrhea.

Can you please suggest some thing

Infant Age : 47 days
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on frequent stools

Detailed Answer:
Hi...this is not diarrhea. This is due milk of magnesia effect. But I suggest you not use medicines to make the baby pass stools at this tender age.

You need not use any medicines for this. It will gradually settle as the medicine effect decreases.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 days later
Hello Doctor Problem for milk of magnesia is solved ,but after providing him the PCV1 and RV1 Vaccination. My baby is getting fever frequently from last night , on giving him 6 drops carpol fever goes down but again rises . can you please help
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please get back to me with weight of the baby and I will suggest you

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. It is very common for low grade fever to occur after PCV vaccine, though not with Rotaviral vaccine.

If you can get back to me with the weigh of the baby I will suggest you the correct dosage of Paracetamol.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Weight is 4.780kg. please suggest, and is there any thing to worry
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can give 0.7ml Calpol drops

Detailed Answer:
Hi..... there is nothing to worry. Fever is common after injectable vaccine.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

Calpol drops contain 100mg/ml (strength).

You can give 0.7ml every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology