Suggest treatment for constipation in a child after feeding Enfamil

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son is 6 month 7 days. Last two weeks onwards we have started solid food for him. Last few days i see him passing very hard stool. His diet is as follows

1 whole night my breast milk on demand
2.morning enfamil stage 2 two spoon in 60 ml water
3. Rice, moing dal and carrot boiled together pureed along with water
4. 1 spoon enfamil
5. My milk in afternoon
6. One banana small smashed
7. One apple small piece pureed
8. Two spoon enfamil

He passes urine frequently , stool daily. But his stool is very hard let me know what shoul i do.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is common for kids to have hard stools while on complimentary feeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi... Greetings from XXXXXXX

It is common for kids to have hard stools while new foods are being introduced like complimentary feeding.

But as he is passing stools daily, you cannot treat it as constipation.

To make stools soft you can add some scoops of papaya both morning and evening in his feeds.

apart from this you can increase the amount of water content in his diet. Please avoid giving excess Ragi as it will make the stools harder.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Thanks doctor.
Should i add ripe papaya or unripe one.
Also can you please tell me the list of vegetables or fruits that i can give apart from what i had listed earlier.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give ripe papaya

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... give ripe papaya.

There is no specific list of fruits and vegetables that you should give, but there is only one suggestion that - add one fruit or vegetable per week so that you will know which fruit or vegetable is not being tolerated by the baby.

I wish your kid a bright future. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696