question-icon

Suggest treatment for constipation in a 1 year old

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: My grandson gets constipated frequently maybe 2 or 3 times a week ... What is the best approaching to get help or cure for him....he is 1 year old
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, it does not count as constipation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me assure you that for infants it is not unusual to pass stool multiple times a day or once in a few days. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, it does not count as constipation. In case of constipation, it generally indicates that there is not enough roughage for the stool to form on. You need to give plenty of green leafy vegetables and a high fibre diet. That should take care of the situation. Avoid giving junk food.

In more severe cases, osmotic laxatives like lactulose might need to be given. Glycerine suppositories or enemas may help the child in passing stool from time to time. In case constipation persists, the underlying cause needs to be evaluated.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician