Suggest treatment for constipation and distended abdomen

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Constipated for 5 days stomach distended took dulcalox 8 hours ago with no relief what should I do
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take lactulose; if not effective go for enema

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Constipation for 5days is a very uncomfortable and painful situation which should be managed aggressively. Plus you have mentioned your abdomen is distended. So you are having symptoms. Dulcolax or bisacodyl has been ineffective. In such cases, I prefer lactulose syrup to be taken 20ml twice daily. However, if one has increased symptoms like pain abdomen and discomfort and has access to ER or emergency, then per rectal application of enema is the best option.
You can try lactulose for a day or if you are very distressed, go for enema. Take lots of oral fluid and dietary fibers.

Hope this was useful.
Consult me for any further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad