Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for constipation and bloated feeling

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 492 Questions
I have been constipated and bloated since Monday. The pharmacy told me to take magnesium citrate. I took it an hour ago now I have a burning in my stomach and I feel like it could be acid reflux. I am unsure of what to do.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised antacid

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

I would start you on antacid like tums or proton pump inhibitors (PPI) like Omeprazole (prilosec). Other alternatives warm glass of water / milk. If you don't feel better, I would urge you to visit the ER for evaluation and IV injections. I will urge you to use antacid/PPI for 2 weeks if you feel better.

Besides that you can use benefiber 2 tsp twice a day instead of magnesium citrate for constipation. These are over the counter medication.

Along with medication you have to change diet habits to avoid constipation and burning sensation in stomach. The following suggestions might help:
Drink plenty of water.
Eat fiber contains food which helpful for your digestion and prevents constipation.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Avoid smoking if you does.Restrict alcohol intake.
Restrict hot beverages like tea and coffee.
Avoid oily,spicy,fast,junk food.
Avoid heavy or fatty meals which causes constipation

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor