Suggest treatment for constipation and bloated feeling

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in GERD
Question: I have been constipated and bloated since Monday. The pharmacy told me to take magnesium citrate. I took it an hour ago now I have a burning in my stomach and I feel like it could be acid reflux. I am unsure of what to do.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised antacid

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

I would start you on antacid like tums or proton pump inhibitors (PPI) like Omeprazole (prilosec). Other alternatives warm glass of water / milk. If you don't feel better, I would urge you to visit the ER for evaluation and IV injections. I will urge you to use antacid/PPI for 2 weeks if you feel better.

Besides that you can use benefiber 2 tsp twice a day instead of magnesium citrate for constipation. These are over the counter medication.

Along with medication you have to change diet habits to avoid constipation and burning sensation in stomach. The following suggestions might help:
Drink plenty of water.
Eat fiber contains food which helpful for your digestion and prevents constipation.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Avoid smoking if you does.Restrict alcohol intake.
Restrict hot beverages like tea and coffee.
Avoid oily,spicy,fast,junk food.
Avoid heavy or fatty meals which causes constipation

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad