Suggest treatment for constant upper left abdominal pain

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have some discomfort in my upper left abdomen and it isnt there constantly. It feels more like a soreness sometimes. I did go to the ER the other day as I have had this issue for the past month. They did a lot of blood test and urine test, then a chest X-ray and everything looked good. Anyways they said it must be muscular. I also occasional have small amounts of what looks like mucus in my stool not a slimy mucus but like a foamy type mucus (sorry not sure how to really explain it). About 2 years ago I had a HIDA scan and everything was normal and I also had a colonoscopy a month or so before that test. Now I have taken a ton of antibiotics in the past for a prostate issue and noticed I have had gut issues since and even got c diff a little over 2 year ago from a antibiotic. I have always seem to have a tightness in my stomach for the past 5 years and feel bloated. I also have a hiatus hernia and often wonder if that is the issue but I believe i have more going on in my gut from the years of frequent antibiotics use and I did have to use a antibiotic for a sinus infection in the month of November for like 10 days.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely intestinal flora disturbance due to long term antibiotics use

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM,
Have gone through your complete history all your tests are perfectly normal.As you said you were on antibiotics from a very long time.Your problem is most likely related to depleted intestinal flora due to long term antibiotics and medicine use.
Just follow what ever i advice for a few weeks and you will feel much relieved,Most likely there is no problem in your abdomen.The problems are just a side effect of long term therapies and medication.

Firstly let me give you a brief idea about what is intestinal flora?
Our body has its own enviroment called gut flora..Gut flora is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans. The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.Long term use of these antibiotics destroys this flora and can lead to various problems with digestive system like indigestion,abdominal pain,belching, bloating and increased gas formation loose motion or constipation.These symptoms may vary from person to person.
.I would suggest you to start good quality probiotics for a few days.Probiotic mechanisms of action include enhancement of the epithelial barrier, increased adhesion to intestinal mucosa, and concomitant inhibition of pathogen adhesion production of anti-microorganism substances and modulation of the immune system.In LAY MANS language it contain a lot of bacteria's which forms a part of normal gut flora.A antispasmodic like dicyclomine can be taken for 3 days.
Apart from medicines few other life style changes are adviced-
- Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Do not drink water during and after meals
- Eat small meals (rich in fiber),Avoid spicy,oily and heavy meals.
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear "
- Drink COLD milk and and AVOID junk food.
- avoid beverages / alcohol/ soft drinks
- do some exercise early in the morning
- avoid carbonated drinks
Thanks follow up after a week.
I assure you you will feel much better with in a week.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj