Suggest treatment for constant shoulder pain and burning sensation

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Both of my shoulders have been giving me pain for 4 months. I haven't done anything unusual until last month when I slipped off of a ladder and caught myself with my right hand stretching it out fully and I heard an cracking noise similar to a metal zipper. It actually felt better after the initial pain and shock to my shoulder went away until the next day. Now if I sleep for 8 hours my shoulders hurt so bad it wakes me up. I can only raise my right arm about halfway and my left one about 3/4 before the pains causes me to stop. I'm worried that the major issue is circulatory due to having a burning pain in both of my shoulders prior to falling off the ladder.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Local analgesic and physiotherapy to consider apart oral pain killers...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are going through.

1. The pain you are feeling on both of your shoulders is due to trauma you got through when slipping off of a ladder.

As the pain is persistent for 4 months after the accident now, and taking into account your arthritis personal history, I advise to get an X-ray of the vertebral spine (in between the shoulders area) to evaluate the changes there.

2. Pain killers like tramadol can help, but you cannot live on it all your life. It is true that medications have their own side effects; that's why their use is restricted to certain circumstances (when needed) only.

3. In your case, if I was your caring doctor would check the vertebral spine changes (if any) after reviewing the X-ray first. Then, will also ask to :
- apply analgesic cream locally
- apply warm clothing locally
- consider following some physiotherapy exercises.

Oral pain killers cannot help alone. You need to give time to your body (to what is already damaged) to rehab.

4. Furthermore, as a diabetic, it will take longer for your to rehab (including traumatic damages).

Hope it was of help! Let me know if you have further questions!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini