Suggest treatment for constant pain in the hip and knees

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have for the past 3-4 days aches in hip and knees jointly and it is causing me much discomfort. I like to walk but have trouble. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer
high fluid intake , hot massages with topical gels , painkillers when needed will be helpful for most of cases , else visit your physician for physical examination .
Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion you may have a kind of arthritis it could be due to gout or rheumatoid . you mentioned taking aleve which is a painkiller with an anti inflammatory action that decreases inflammation in your joints that could cause such pain . do not worry actually that is very common with aging , lack of exercises and obesity .
For my patients i may suggest painkillers , hot massages with topical gels , muscle relaxants , B12 vitamin supplementation , high fluid intake will be effective for most of cases .in some cases we may add steroids if needed .
You should avoid heavy lifting , overweight , vigorous movements , high salt and proteins meals , bad sleeping or sitting postures , standing or walking for a long time and avoid bending your knees for a long time .
You may have some lab investigations like urine analysis , ASOT ( anti strepto lysin o titre ) , Rf ( rheumatoid factor ) , ESR ( erythrocyte sedimentation rate ) and follow them up with your physician for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy