Suggest treatment for constant pain in shoulder blade

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am due to have carpal/cubital/ulnar release surgery next week. I have constant pain in my back at my shoulder blade on the side (right) that is set for surgery. Will the surgery make that pain go away; is that pain associated with those problems, or is it something else? The pain showed up at the same time as all the various pain points in my arm and hand.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it will not be released by surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
Well, carpal and cubital canal surgery will lead to improvement of nerve function distally(downside) from the tunnel. It means that it cant affect possible neuropathies above this level. However, people with carpal syndrome or cubital syndrome have predisposition to have bony exostoses in other bones such as cervical spine or shoulder blade. So I suggest to have surgery and then after, do MRi of cervical spine and shoulder to see is there some pathology. WIsh you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar