Suggest treatment for constant hiccups

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Three times in the past month I have had hiccups for four days or more. The first two times they were stopped by Gabapentin. Yesterday, after three days of hiccups I lost the ability to breathe, After 30 seconds or so I was able to breathe but still had hiccups. My physician had his assistant call in Thorazene. Once more last night I lost the ability to breathe, but after jumping out of bed, taking off CPAP mask, and struggling I slept for nine hours. Any thoughts on underlying cause? XXXXXXX Hall, 62 year old writer and retired attorney.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detail investigations are required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Hiccups lasting for more than 48 hrs and leading to cessation of breath should be investigated. Hope you do not have any sore throat, reflux esophagitis or ear infection. Get a blood test to rule out any electrolyte imbalance and to see that kidneys are alright. Get a chest x-ray to rule out anything irritating the nerves supplying the diaphragm. A MRI of brain may also be required sometime.

Chlorpromazine, metochlorpropamide and baclofen are useful in controlling the hiccups. Consult your physician for the prescription.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad